Sansevieria trifasciata is also known as Mother-in-law’s tongue, Viper’s bowstring hemp, and snake plant. Snake plants are popular houseplants because of their great look and health properties. These plants are one of the best air purifying plants. They are also low maintenance and easy to grow. There are many other Benefits Of Snake Plants. We have listed them below.
It produces Oxygen
A research published by Harvard University states that at nighttimes, this plant absorbs carbon dioxide and releases oxygen. The research also states that alongside Ficus and Poths, Spider Plant is the most recommended plant to clean your indoor air. You can find the whole research here.
2. It has a nice ornamental effect
This is one of the most popular Benefits Of Snake Plants. These plants are highly decorative. They feature a remarkable and attractive look. They are so elegant and appealing. They feature thick and tall foliage colored with shades of green, yellow or gray stripes. This exceptional look of spider plants made them one of the most popular houseplants.
3. It purifies the air
Spider plants are one of the most effective Plants in getting rid of air pollutants and air toxics. These plants will remove many toxins from your indoor air making it fresher and cleaner. The most dangerous toxins that Spider plants are capable of removing include:
- Carbon Dioxide: In 215, The EPH ( Environmental Health Perspectives) published a research that points out that people who are prone to CO2 in their houses, workplaces, schools face more difficulties in achieving their daily activities such as learning and working. That is to say; High levels of carbon dioxide has a direct formidable effect on their cognitive skills and productivity. The best way to breathe less CO2 when you are at your house is to grow a Snake plant. Snake plants are one of the few plants that can absorb CO2. Growing one of these plants is enough to reduce CO2 levels.
- Benzene: This is one of the toxins that we are exposed the most to. Benzene is a very common toxin that is caused by heating and cooling systems, solvents, paints, smoking cigarettes, etc. It also causes many diseases such as Headaches, nausea, and vomiting. Some researches even argue that Benzene is one of the causes of blood cells cancer. According to a NASA study, the best way to get rid of Benzene from the air is to grow a snake plant. One single snake plant is capable of removing up to 52.6% of benzene from the air in one room.
- Formaldehyde: This is one of the toxins that we are daily exposed to in our houses. It is mainly caused by cooking, smoking, cosmetics, paints, fuel combustion from traffic, furniture, flooring, etc. Formaldehyde is a dangerous toxin and it causes many health problems including irritation in eyes, nose, throat. A heavy exposure to this toxin may cause throat and nose cancer. If you want to learn more about the effects of this toxin, read this article. Therefore, if you want to remove this toxin from the air you are breathing indoors, you should grow a snake plant. An experience made by NASA show that a single snake plant removes 31,294 micrograms of Formaldehyde in a 24 hours exposure.
- Xylene: Although this toxin is not as common as the others on this list, it remains one of the most human health-threatening air pollutants. Xylene can be caused by many things including paint, varnish, rust preventives, paint thinners, removers, and pesticides. It usually causes nose and throat irritation. Snake plants alongside mum and areca palm, are extremely effective in the removal of this toxin from the air.
- Trichloroethylene and Toluene: You can get exposed to Trichloroethylene (TCE) from printing inks, lacquers, paint removers, varnishes, and adhesives. A heavy exposure to TCE may cause cancer. A low exposure to it can cause you nausea, fatigue, and headache. TCE also affects mental health. It is known to cause dysfunction in the nervous system and necrosis. It is definitely one of the worst toxins to get exposed to. Since this toxin is a tough one, one single snake plant can remove only 13% of it.
4. It removes Carbon dioxide
This is one of the most important Benefits Of Snake Plants. Besides releasing oxygen at nighttime, this plant also absorbs carbon dioxide at both daytime and nighttime. Snake plants have Crassulacean Acid Metabolism. That is to say; they perform a particular type of photosynthesis that requires the absorption of CO2.
5. It reduces allergies
Any plant that is capable of releasing Oxygen and absorbing carbon dioxide is capable of reducing the odds of airborne allergies. Snake plants are more effective than air filters and purifiers. Besides, they are decorative and attractive. Growing snake plants is like hitting two birds with one stone. You will beautify your house and decrease the odds of airborne allergies.
6. Produces positive vibes
When it comes to Feng Shui, Snake plant is an ideal choice. This plant is good at producing positive and protective energies. If you want to feel positive vibes around your house, you should definitely grow this plant. It is believed that snake plants bring protective and purifying energy for houses and offices.
7. It is low maintenance
This is the reason why snake plant is one of the most popular houseplants. This plant is so strong that can grow and thrive in any conditions. You can grow it in full sun, in shades, in a humid environment, etc. In brief, it is almost impossible to kill this plant. It is one of the easiest houseplants to grow.
These are the best benefits of snake plants. Growing these plants will allow you to enjoy all these benefits. It is highly recommended that you decorate your place with a snake plant. It is simpley an amazing plant that you will love having around.